Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My long awaited get away to Mexico

We spent my first day in Mexico City doing the touristy things and visiting Joe's work. He had a really hard time saying goodbye, he had made some really great friends and loved the city. I think he was a little disappointed b/c I said I didn't think I could actually live in the city like he wants to. I liked it and thought it was a great place to visit, just not to live. First of all, there are millions of people everywhere, and horrible traffic and everyone just drives how they want ignoring other cars and people on the road.

We got a chance to use every form of public transportation all in one day. Oh and walk, I'm pretty sure we walked at least 8 hours of the day. We rode the subway the most, which tends to get a little scary with the millions of people who try to fit in one little cart (esp. when there is a girls' cart and a guys', and I went on the guys' since I didn't want to get seperated). You pretty much are always squished up to at least 5 other people. Anyway we rode the metro bus, taxi, and the Turibus to get to all the tourist sights. Anyway it was great and just so good to finally be there and have Joe again. And we got to go to the top of the World Trade Center to eat and the top is all windows and spins showing all of the lights around the city. It was so pretty.

Oh and where he lived, he posted pics, is not quite as nice as it looks in pictures. We stayed there 3 nights. The bed felt like we were laying on hard wood floors with a sheet over it. The bathroom was shared with 4 other people of which none did I ever see. The walls were coming apart, the bathtub was black inside, and there was no hot water. Anyway he seemed to be fine and never complained, maybe it was just me. I guess maybe I'm too high maintenance. They don't really have air conditioning anywhere so his window was open always with a sheet hanging from it. Let's just say I didn't get much sleep when we stayed there, especially with the window open and hearing sirens and honking pretty much non stop all through the night.


Some of the cool sights we saw


The attorneys Joe worked with


...his two favorites outside their building

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lonna said...

Oh I am sorry to hear that you didn't get much sleep due to the accommodations, but at least you were playing the role of a tourist, and not the run around chasing after kids role.

No A/C? Yikes. I think that I may have melted, I mean we have ours going all the time here and I still feel like I am sweating all the time.