Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yesterday

I know I've blogged a lot in the past few days...and I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining too much and I'm not now either, but I thought I needed to write about my day yesterday and be able to reminisce on such a great day.

Woke up feeling a cold coming on, after having not much sleep due to Abby being up all night coughing like crazy and crying. So we were all tired (even though Joe got up with her, I still am up). This was about 8am. I called the doctor to make an appointment just to see if there was anything to be done since I REALLY need my sleep. Then I canceled playgroup that was supposed to be at my house since I figured no one wanted to be around my snotty nosed, coughing, sickly kids. Hannah's nose started to get green and is constantly running (one of my biggest pet peeves). And with her prone to ear infections, I decide to call the dr. back and see if I can take her in at the same time as Abby just to check her ears again even though we were there 2 days ago.

Out of diapers so we ran to Walmart and stopped at the bank and Hannah decided to sleep the whole way, I guess since she didn't get any the night before. Come home make lunch...and both girls eat. So things are going well. Put them to bed, and start to work. Get too tired so I give up and lay down for a minute before waking the girls up to go to the doctor. (By the way, Abby begs to come with me to the dr. with Hannah, she loves going)

Wake them up and of course they were not ready to get up so they scream. Abby sleeps in only underwear so her screaming and kicking while trying to get her dressed doesn't go over so well. She screams she doesn't want to go to the doctor. Put them in the car, and Abby is literally screaming at the top of her lungs at me and yelling, "Take me home right now, I don't want to go to the doctor, I don't want them to look in my mouth." Over and over and over, hysterical. So I turn up the music b/c of course when Abby cries, Hannah cries. Thinking that turning the music up would get her to stop crying, I was wrong. She just covered her ears and screamed louder. At this point I was not feeling good and now frustrated, and trying to hurry to the doctor so we could make it on time. She screamed the whole way there telling me to take her home right now. Still crying when we check in but calmed down a little. Luckily we only had to wait 5 minutes unlike the usual hour before we even get into the office. The nurses take Abby's blood pressure and she thinks it is the coolest thing ever and starts laughing and having a great time. (talk about mood swings with this girl) So then Hannah starts getting excited. When the doctor came to check Abby, she told her to open her mouth and said she wouldn't even use the stick if she could open big enough. Sure enough it worked. While checking her heartbeat, Hannah lifted up her shirt and kept saying, "me, me," wanting her turn. And that was that, they were happy girls again. Abby had the ear infection, and I guess there is nothing to do for her horrible cough, and they both just have colds. We walk out of the office and they both ask for a sucker, get one, and Abby says, "Mom, going to the doctor isn't so bad." Wonderful. We are doing good.

We go home, and Hannah has started this thing where she wants to go potty every 5 seconds take off her clothes, and sit on the potty. So I got out the little potty thinking maybe one of these days she actually will go instead of just thinking sitting on it is fun and saying poo poo and potty. Well she was sitting on it for the hundredth time, and I run off to do something in the other room and forget that she had no diaper on. She comes to me with pee dripping down her leg and all over the floor. And then the next time she wanted to get on, Abby pushed her out of the way and said she needed to go. She sits on the little potty (even though I have told her several times I don't want her going in it b/c I don't want to clean it out every time) goes and then says I'll clean it up. She takes it over to the toilet and dumps it all down the side and all over the rug by the toilet.

Lucky I have frozen a month worth of dinners, or we may not have eaten last night, and we have clam chowder. We have really started trying to get the girls to eat dinner with us since we have had such a problem and Abby won't eat or try anything. So dinner is not a fun time. And did I mention Joe has all night classes this semester? He is finished at 9pm Mon and Wed and 9:30 on Tuesdays and 7:30 on Thursdays and then add the hour it takes to get out of class and get home. So he is never around for dinner. So I sit down and Abby starts crying she doesn't want any and Hannah decides to not want any either. She is kicking and screaming and I try to get her to at least taste it since I know she likes everything as soon as she tastes it and she turns around in her high chair and throws her head back right into the bowl. Her head is now covered in clam chowder and I'm losing it.

I finally get her in the bath and then bribe Abby to eat and get her in the bath too. And put them both to bed. And by some miracle it only took about 15 minutes before they were both asleep. But I was so exhausted by the end of the night and when Joe got home, I couldn't even stay awake for the premier of Lost. I know I'm crazy, but I was so tired I just had to go to bed.

Today is going a little better and Joe got to stay home until nap time so that was helpful and nice to have some help after our wonderful day yesterday.

9 comments:

Jayson & Megan said...

I know I shouldn't laugh at other people's misery, but I got chuckle out of your day. I'm sorry it was so rough. At least Joe was home for part of today.

AshleyS said...

oh my, sierra! what a day! i can't say your post calmed my fears of having 2 kids...haha. i'm glad they aren't very sick, hays started the runny nose/deep cough last night and since she had reflux for so long she can make herself throw up so easily. so phlegm=hailey making herself throw up all night. it ended at 10pm with hailey in bed with me and wes on the couch...we didn't get to watch Lost yet either...and i only have 1 right now! sometimes its nice to vent about days like that.

sgriffin.ca said...

Your story is one of the reasons motherhood is a sainted job. Only someone who truly loves her children can refrain from strangling them sometimes and it requires more patience as the day goes on. I can just hear Abby screaming all the way...and feel your pain and then laughter as she made her very wise comments after the fact. You are truly a wonderful mom! Don't forget you are never alone...although you truly sometimes wish it :-)I hope you get more naps!

Callie. said...

Sierra, thanks for posting this. I feel the exact same way and have days that are every bit as horrible as that too. They seriously take it out of you, especially when you have no hope of your husband being there to help you with any of it (I understand that competely also). Hopefully you get a day or a few hours to yourself sometime soon. And always know that everyone else is going through the same thing if you ever need to talk!

Lonna said...

Here is to the screaming kids in the back of the car! Cheers! Well I would say that you had a rough day, but here is something to make you feel better, my sister in law was doing pretty much the same thing the other day (kids to the dr.) and on her way home with all 3 kids screaming she got pulled over and a giant ticket too.

Sierra you crack me up, I think can just see you wrestling the girls at dinner to try to get them to eat just one bite. An all too common scene around here. I hope that you get a better nights sleep tonight.

Stilovich Family said...

Wow! And to think I was feeling bad for myself yesterday.....thanks
for the great story! Hang in there... I am impressed that you have your 30 days worth of dinners frozen... did you use the book we gave you? I still have not done that yet, how was it?

Holly said...

Wow, ROUGH day! Sorry you missed Lost too. Such a bummer. Hope things are going better. At least your girls are super cute!

It's Been a Day! said...

Oh Sierra. What are we going to do with our kids? Bless your heart. First of all, I can't believe that hannah will actually sit on the toilet. Avery runs the other way whenever I mention it. You must be doing something right. I'm jealous of your meals for the month. I should probably do that. I can pretty much guarantee that my kids wouldn't eat any of it though. And Brent has only one night class this semester and I don't like it but I guess compared to Joe's schedule, I can't complain. I hope this semester goes by quickly for you guys.

James, Cameo, Jacob, and Eli said...

Wow, what a day!! And you've got #3 now to look forward to and add to the mix!! I'm impressed you made it through the day. Hopefully all your days aren't so crazy!!