Thursday, July 9, 2009

Can Someone Back Me Up Please?

With the "Cash for Clunkers Program," Joe now wants a new car and thinks it would save us money by getting rid of our Jeep. Since we already got me a van recently, we need something really cheap since we are still in school. So he went online and to dealerships to find the cheapest new car around. Well the cheapest cars come with NO A/C. I had no idea they made cars without air conditioning anymore, but I guess they do. He says that it doesn't matter and he doesn't need it. Seriously?? Am I the only one who thinks it is stupid to buy a brand new car without a/c, especially here in Houston? Please back me up here on this one so I know it's not just me that thinks that it is crazy. Check out the poll if you want to remain anonymous.

13 comments:

Jayson & Megan said...

I'm not worried about remaining anonymous! Play the resale card. I'm sure it would be difficult to sell a car at a later date without AC.

The York Family said...

Joe, seriously??? No A/C??? NO!! It's way too hot to do that! The extra bit of money per month is worth it and you would NEVER be able to resale the thing. I have a couple of cars you can buy if you want:) Good luck with this one Sierra! Tell him he has to drive around in the Jeep with no A/C on for 2 weeks and then decide.
Oh yeah, this is Megan... I guess I'm logged onto my Sisters account.

It's Been a Day! said...

i heard that you got a mini van! congrats!! do you love it?

as far as the a/c goes, i think it's a total necessity. especially in texas. especially in houson. especially in the summer. we had a friend who's a/c went out and it cost more to fix it than the car was worth so he decided to just go without. he said it was so dumb. he would have sweat through his clothes by the time he got to his destination!! i hope you get to find a new car but i hope you get one with a/c. i don't need a lot of fun gadgets or stuff like that, but a/c is key!

James, Cameo, Jacob, and Eli said...

The air conditioning went out for a couple of days last summer in the car that James drives, and he would literally come home completely soaking wet with sweat, and that was only a 15-20 minute drive!! It didn't help to roll the windows down either. He took it to an auto shop when it went out, which was about a 10 minute drive, and when he walked in they asked him if it was raining outside because he was dripping wet. So, yes I think Joe is crazy to think he doesn't need air conditioning!!

Kim said...

No Joe, DON'T DO IT!!! That's a horrible idea...especially when you'll be making money in a year! Otherwise in a year you'll really regret buying the car. Sorry I'm with Sierra on this one...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ok, we are talking about a $2400 difference, resale isnt an issue, and when we have the money I can put AC in the thing for $1600. I leave very early and do not need it on the way to school/work and on the way home it doesnt matter, I can just take a quick shower when I get home. While the money may not be a big deal in a little while it is now and financing an extra 2400 seems like a dumb idea when I can get the AC kit for 1100 and pay 500 to have it installed and just pay cash later. Sierra did not paint the whole picture nor did she give all the facts, but I do appreciate the concerns.

-Joe

Texas Harveys said...

Joe you are nuts! It's worth the extra $800...you'll be sorry...

Joe said...

Interesting how $2400 turned into $800, do you know something I don't Kristy?

jimbo said...

Joe, I'm with you!!!! (sorry Sierra) My first car didn't have AC in vegas in 120 deg weather and I survived just fine. I see people with their windows down all the time. Sure your gonna suffer, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices. stay strong!

sgriffin.ca said...

Hey Joe - not only will you be hot but you will feel sick if you have to be in that heat for commuting to school and work. CONSIDER YOUR HEALTH not just the money. I will figure out a way to pitch in. If you buy a GM car we can give you some GM dollars to cover the AC. Sam is going to use some points I think if he buys a car using the minivan as the clunker, but we can share some of the GM dollars to get the air. Don't do it-MOM

sgriffin.ca said...

Hey and another thing I have heard that the after market AC's just don't work as well and although you think you will only be driving it early in the morning when it's not hot what if you have to use it other times??

Holly said...

Yes, he is officially crazy! You really should have him checked. :) Sorry Joe. There is NO WAY I would live in Texas, or anywhere with the exception of possibly Alaska, without AC in my car (or my husbands car- seriously, he could pass out at the wheel from heat exhaustion!). Good luck on the car-buying experience.